Here are some key dates to remember. We have also updated our Calendar to guide you through the process.
- Monday 18th October: Balloting starts.
- Friday 22nd October: if you haven’t received your ballot by Friday, then starting from this day you can request a replacement ballot through an online form.
- Thursday 28th October (5pm): this will be your last chance to request a replacement ballot via an online form.
- Tuesday 2nd November: the recommended last day to send in your ballots so that they reach Civica before the ballot closes.
- Thursday 4th November (12 midday): the ballot closes.
There is also a QMUCU action committee that is meeting every Thursday at 10am on Zoom. This committee consists of active QMUCU members who are helping the Get Out The Vote campaign, preparing communications and media about the disputes to students and staff and are getting Queen Mary strike ready. The Zoom link was sent to your email last Wednesday (13th October) with the title: Get The Vote Out – here’s what you can do.
We need over 50% of QMUCU members to turn in their ballots in order for the vote to be effective. There are lots that you can do to make that happen.
- Talk to at least 10 colleagues and remind them to vote (and get those 10 colleagues to pledge to do the same)
- Become a departmental rep or help in some other way to get the vote out across your university. We currently need departmental reps in nearly all Schools, Institutions and Professional Services Departments.
- Organise a departmental meeting to discuss the upcoming strikes and how to make sure everybody returns their ballots.
- Make your participation in the dispute(s) visible by changing your profile pictures on social media and using our other campaign resources
- Talk to non-union colleagues and students about why you are taking action. Employers will do their best to paint you as unreasonable, when they are the ones who are choosing to invest less in their staff and can afford to make an offer that would avoid industrial action.