After a campaign by QM UCU’s members, Demonstrators were given a 14% pay rise starting in September 2017. For the first time, they also have a clear job profile and formal contracts to set out their responsibilities and to stop departments using the role as a cut-price Teaching Associate.
- We need to work together to make sure that these changes are put into practice. If you’d like to report problems or organise Demonstrators in your department, contact the QM UCU postgraduate students’ reps.
- Postgraduates can join UCU for free to work together for a better university – now and for the future – and benefit from training. Sign up and encourage your colleagues to do so.
- QM UCU continues to challenge plans by Queen Mary to stop Demonstrators from gaining the same annual pay increments as other staff.
Resources for Demonstrators
- FAQs for Demonstrators
- Advice including what the role should or shouldn’t involve, and who to contact if you have questions
- Distinguishing Demonstrator and Teaching Associate roles
- Use this guide to make sure you’re being paid at the right rate