Picket lines are hopeful spaces where we think and organise together to build a better future. We are organising sessions daily to guide these conversations. We have guidance on pickets here. Below is a list of current and past activities.
20-22 March 2023
Monday 20th of March
- 11am: “Settler Colonialism and Labour Struggles” Sai Englert — East Gate
- 1:30pm: All staff meeting — Bancroft 3.24 and zoom
Tuesday 21st of March
- 9:30am: Pickets open at Mile End
- 10:30am: “The Iraq Invasion 20 years on” Chris Nineham (Vice-Chair, Stop the War Coalition) – East Gate
- 11:30am: Visit from the Mayor of Tower Hamlets, Lutfur Rahman – Queens Gate
- 12pm: Pickets close and travel to Tavistock Square for UCU London Region “Mind the Gaps” March.
Wednesday 22nd of March
- 9:30am: Pickets open at Mile End
- 10:15am: Poetry on the Picket, bring your own poem (or song, chant, screed), a chance for you to read your own favourite revolutionary words.
- 11:00am: Teach out: Students and the Cost of Living Crisis, organised by Queen Mary Student Union – Outside the Chaplaincy.
- 3pm: Online branch meeting to discuss ASOS deductions (see email for more info).
15-17 March 2023
Wednesday 15th March
- No pickets at Mile End due to transport strikes and Central London demo.
- Instead, all are invited to attend the National Defend Education march, organised by the NEU and supported by UCU, which will start at Park Lane.
- UCU members will assemble at 11:30am at Speakers’ Corner, and a Queen Mary UCU group will be there.
- March begins at 12pm: route map.
Thursday 16th March
- Pickets open at Mile End at 9:30am-12:30pm.
- Pickets open at Charterhouse Square, 9am-12pm
- Teach out at Charterhouse Square campus: “Defending Healthcare – for patients and workers” A discussion with contributions from healthcare workers on protecting services by fighting for workers’ rights. Location: Barbican Entrance, Charterhouse Square campus. Nearest tube: Barbican.
- Online branch meeting at 1:30pm to discuss the strikes and UCU Congress
Friday 17th March
- Solidarity breakfast! Bagels, pastries, tea and coffee available for all from 9:30am
- Pickets open at Mile End until 1pm.
- Picket line Casework Surgery: Problems at work? Do you have an issue with your promotion? Are you on a fixed term contract but haven’t received your contract yet? Are you the target of discrimination, bullying and/or harassment? Or have you been refused a reasonable flexible working request? Our caseworkers will be available for a special picket line casework surgery in the Chaplaincy 10-12pm. Drop in on the day or email for an appointment in advance firstname.lastname@example.org
14-16 February 2023
Tuesday 14th February
- 10.30am, East Gate Mile End – “What’s Love Got To Do With It?” – Readings on love, sex, family, the state and capitalism, by Katherine Angel, Sita Balani and Sam McBean.
- 10.30am, CCLS Lincoln’s Inn Fields – Student and staff solidarity banner making with members of Law School.
- 11.15am, Queens’ Building Mile End – Gather together for picket close and head to the ACAS Headquarters in Westminster to show some love for the union and lobby the employers.
Wednesday 15th February
- 11am, Queens’ Building – “What We Want – Demands for the University Beyond this Dispute” – the first in a series of open discussions on what we want to build together, the transformative power of unions, and the future university.
- 12.00pm, Queens’ Building – Gather together for rally and picket close.
- 4pm, Online, Branch Meeting to discuss the state of the current dispute and vote on motions to put to HEC on the national strike fund and union democracy.
- 7.30pm, George Tavern E1 0LA – Coalition of Black Trade Unionists Strike Fundraiser. More info here. All welcome, all funds to be donated to CWU Strike Fund.
Thursday 16th February
- 11am, Queens’ Building – Gathering and discussion with migrant workers and students at QMUL
- 12pm, East Gate – Members of SOAS Detainee Support talk about their work, and university’s role in the UK hostile environment.
- 12.45pm, Queens’ Building – Gather for rally and picket close.
9-10 February 2023
Thursday 9 February
- 10am onwards: Strike couch returns! An opportunity for students to meet striking staff and talk through their shared concerns.
- 11am: Banner-making at East gate. Express your feelings through a new creative medium by joining colleagues and students for a solidarity banner-making workshop. Bring spare cardboard!
- 12pm: “How to Stop a University” Zara Dinnen and James Eastwood lead a discussion about industrial strategy in Higher Education, building on their recent piece in Notes from Below.
Friday 10 February
- 9:30am: Picket breakfast! Join colleagues for free food and drink served on the pickets.
- 11am: “A cost of living crisis made in the boardrooms” Sukhdev Johal talks through the real origins of the current cost of living crisis.
1 February 2023
Wednesday 1 February
- 8:30 am: Pickets at QMUL open
- 9:30 am: Pickets begin to close
- 10:00 am: Assemble with local NEU branches at Mile End Station to travel to Central London
- 10:30 am: Travel together to Central London (Mile End station to Great Portland Street)
- 11:00 am: National Education Demo: Assemble with NEU and UCU members at Portland Place (UCU feeder march likely to be near New Cavendish Street)
- 12:00 pm: NEU march to Westminster